Tuesday 11 December 2007

Band Settings For Bench Press








This post will be of absolutely no relevance to anyone but a handful of powerlifters. I have been asked for some advice on how to set up bands for bench press training. Where better to post the information than on my blog?

My comments are not intended to be the last word in using bands in bench press training. I merely seek to pass on what I have learned through trial and error since starting to train with bands in September 2007.

The photos show two bands being used together. If you want to use one band, just take one off. If you want to use three or more, add more bands in the same position as I have shown. For regular benching, I position the bands on the bar in what can best be described as the close grip bench position. If you want to do close grip work with bands, then move the bands to the 81 cm knurls.

The first three photos are what I call the Fury setting. If a Fury or equivalent is the shirt you use, and you press in a straight line or slightly towards your belly, then set the bands as shown and put your arms through the gaps when taking your position. The bands will then take you on your natural line. If it feels slightly awry, adjust the forward band slightly forwards or backwards until it hits your personal line properly.

The last four pictures are what I call the F6 position, which is the setting I use myself. I press with an arch and slightly backwards towards my head, and having the bands in that position allows me to follow my natural line when using bands.

I find that having several "gentle" bands gives me far more options than a couple of more powerful bands would. I have two purples bands, two black mini bands and two pink mini bands.

On my ME Day, I use one purple and load up the bar. That means I still have to work hard off the chest, and I get a little extra resistance as the band stretches which works my lockout.

On my DE Day, I use two purples with less weight on the bar. That allows me to be more explosive off the chest and teaches me to drive through the sticking point.

These are the two options I use most of the time, but occasionally if I want to focus exclusively on lockout I put on two purples and two black minis with very little weight on the bar.

I keep a training log on both the Powerlifting UK and Sugden Barbell sites, so if you want to see the weights I'm using in conjunction with the bands then just look in on either or both of them.

I hope that helps those who were asking, plus anyone who's just stumbled across the blog.

No comments: