Monday 17 December 2007

Blowing My Own Trumpet! - Well, Giving It A Little Toot!

I've been told more than once that I tend not to blow my own trumpet and to underplay my achievements. Perhaps; perhaps not! But as this blog is in part my showcase, perhaps I should blow it a little more often.

I'll start here. On Sunday 9th December 2007, I was MC at the BWLA North West Powerlifting Championships. I've done several events this year, including all the north west powerlifting events, two British Championships and the UK Strongman North final. I think I'm rather good at it. Public speaking was my forte in school, and during my local government career it was a talent that was frequently called upon. Last Sunday's event was probably my best performance so far. All the talk on powerlifting forums was about how great the atmosphere was, and I was described as the best MC in powerlifting, or words to that effect. At that point someone who has never heard me do the job suggested that someone else was, in fact, the best.

It's nice to be told that you're doing a good job, but I don't think that an open discussion as to who's best is particularly helpful, because by definition one isn't, and that's not really beneficial to the sport. So I posted a reply along the lines of "...of course the other guy's better..." to defuse the situation and redirect comments along a more positive line.

To my surprise and pleasure, I received an email from a very senior official who had been present on the day and witnessed my performance. He's travelled the world as a lifter, powerlifting coach and referee for as long as powerlifting's been a sport, and has seen and done it all. He wrote...

"Very magnanimous reply there, young sir, but I'll tell you this for what it's worth. I've never heard a better job done than you did on Sunday - anywhere by anyone. You made some pretty decent lifters sound like (and feel like, I'm sure) world champions. I loved it."

Feedback like that warms the cockles of the heart and convinces me that I've taken the right career path. Hopefully, if you are looking to engage a master of ceremonies, or know someone who is, comments like that will help convince you that yours truly might just fit the bill - however reluctant he is to blow that trumpet!

No comments: