Wednesday 7 November 2007

The First Post

My first ever blog! I frequently post on forums, but have never done a blog before. This should be fun, especially when I eventually embrace the technology!



About me? Well I have a website (http://www.martinflett.com/) and check that out for some info about me and what I do. I met Alan Stevens, the new president of the PSA, last night, and Alan sort of inspired me to start my own blog. It's much more interactive than a website, cheap (I am a good Scotsman after all) and I can update it myself rather than relying on third parties.



So let's start the first post with some genuinely great news about my achievements this year. I am a "plastic powerlifter" - that is I am a bench presser because injury prevents me doing the other two powerlifting disciplines - squat and deadlift.



I started as a disabled powerlifter (that's bench press only) in 2002, but after lots of obstacles to competing internationally because I wasn't disabled enough (that might be a topic in its own right in time) I gave that up. However in the process I discovered that bench press on it's own is now a stand alone sport. I also discovered there are Masters age categories once you hit 40. I was 48 by the time I moved from disabled into Masters and for the first two years I got my butt well and truly kicked in competition after competition; but I always had in mind that if I worked hard and improved my lifts then I might be competitive in Masters 2 once I hit 50.



Since hitting 50 I've won the British Weightlifters Association (BWLA) Masters 2 Bench Press title in 2006 and 2007; and I've also won the Unequipped BWLA Masters 2 Bench Press titles both years. I'm the British Masters 2 record holder for unequipped bench press and am closing in on the Equipped record.



This year I joined the British Drug Free Powerlifting Association (BDFPA) as well as BWLA. Primarily for more competitive opportunities as there are not many bench-only competitions, but also because I had friends who lifted there. In Bradford this July, I won both the Equipped and Unequipped Masters 3 Bench Press titles. I set a British record in Unequipped bench and a world record in equipped bench. Yes, you read that right, a WORLD RECORD! Chuffed? You bet!



But its gets better. I went to the World Drug Free Powerlifting Federation (WDFPF) Single Lift World Championships in Pescara, Italy and on Saturday 13th October, I won two world Over 50s titles and equalled my world record in the Equipped Bench Press. Again, chuffed to bits!



That's enough for a first post. I'm far far more than just a bench presser, but the sport has given me a profile and a platform to expand into other areas and do things that I've wanted to do all my life but was never in a position to do.



More about that and other matters on subsequent blogs. It would be great if I could get some feedback on here rather than just be all me. Look forward to hearing from lots of you out there in cyberspace.



Best wishes,



Martin.

15 comments:

MediaCoach said...

Martin,

Great start to your blog - well done! More power to your elbow (geddit?)

Good to meet you last night, and thanks for your comments on my humble blog. I'll give you a mention in my next posting.

Best wishes

Alan

Hotshotl said...

Pleased to be among the first to congratulate you on your blog Martin
Not only am I greatly impressed by your benching, I am now in awe of your computer skills!
Regards
Silver Oldie

Martin said...

Hi Silver,
It's really easy, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do it!
Thanks,
Martin.

Sanderman said...

Keep up the good work Martin and Hoping the Blog humour is good.

U No Hu

Sanderman said...

Village Idiot went to the doctors with Hereditory Diarhea "Hereditory?" asked the doctor.

"Yes" replied the idiot "It's in my Jeans!"

Martin said...

Just realised who Sanderman is! Like the moniker! The humour will be good on occasion, no doubt. Thanks for posting Andy.

Sanderman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sanderman said...

Got me first time..

Sanderman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marc said...

Nice blog mate. will follow with interest. marc

Sanderman said...

Sorry about the deletions but I kept trying to post a message, only to get "Password incorrect" so I tried again and again only to find out after I gave up that they had been posted Grrrrrr!

Sanderman said...

How are your dogs Martin? Not much on your Blog about them!!

Martin said...

There is now!

Fred said...

Leotard ???
I've heard that "the full monty" pays more.

Sanderman said...

Hi Martin, Thanks for the update on your dogs. Will you do me a favour? Give Tasha a big hug off me and a special treat! Thanks